What is Technical Analysis ? How is it different from Fundamental Analysis ?
The stock market used to be filled with technical analysts deciding what to buy and sell, until it was decided that their success rate is no better than chance. Now technical stock analysis is virtually non-existent.
Research and examination of the market and securities as it relates to their supply and demand in the marketplace. The technician uses charts and computer programs to identify and project price trends. The analysis includes studying price movements and trading volumes to determine patterns such as Head and Shoulder Formations and W Formations. Other indicators include support and resistance levels, and moving averages. In contrast to fundamental analysis, technical analysis does not consider a corporation’s financial data.
Technical analysts study trading histories to identify price trends in particular stocks, mutual funds, commodities, or options in specific market sectors or in the overall financial markets. They use their findings to predict probable, often short-term, trading patterns in the investments that they study. The speed (and advocates would say the accuracy) with which the analysts do their work depends on the development of increasingly sophisticated computer programs.
Technical Analysis supposes markets have memory.If so, past prices, or the current price momentum, can give an idea of the future price evolution. Technical Analysis is a tool to detect if a trend (and thus the investor’s behavior) will persist or break. It gives some results but can be deceptive as it relies mostly on graphic signals that are often intertwined, unclear or belated. It might become a source of representiveness heuristic (spotting patterns where there are none)
Technical analysis has become increasingly popular over the past several years, as more and more people believe that the historical performance of a stock is a strong indication of future performance. The use of past performance should come as no surprise. People using fundamental analysis have always looked at the past performance of companies by comparing fiscal data from previous quarters and years to determine future growth. The difference lies in the technical analyst’s belief that securities move according to very predictable trends and patterns. These trends continue until something happens to change the trend, and until this change occurs, price levels are predictable.
There are many instances of investors successfully trading a security using only their knowledge of the security’s chart, without even understanding what the company does. However, although technical analysis is a terrific tool, most agree it is much more effective when used in combination with fundamental analysis.
Fundamental analysis looks at a share’s market price in light of the company’s underlying business proposition and financial situation. It involves making both quantitative and qualitative judgments about a company. Fundamental analysis can be contrasted with ‘technical analysis’, which seeks to make judgements about the performance of a share based solely on its historic price behavior and without reference to the underlying business, the sector it’s in, or the economy as a whole. This is done by tracking and charting the companies stock price, volume of shares traded day to day, both on the company itself and also on its competitors. In this way investors hope to build up a picture of future price movements.
Search Our Archives
- Stocks Trading above their 50 day moving average - DMA In Stock Research
- Download free Ebooks based on Technical Analysis In Personal Training
- TOP 100 Stocks with the Highest P/E as on July 14th, 2013 In Stock Research
- TOP 100 Stocks with the Lowest P/E as on July 14th, 2013 In Stock Research
- Charting Pathsala - Your guide to Techincals In Technical Analysis
- SKB Starpaper,cgcl,hpl,sequent,welspunind....In Intraday calls for 24-03-17
- CB Hi Mani, vguard can test 190 again in ...In Intraday calls for 24-03-17
- Mani Sir vguard and grauer and Weil's 2-3 m...In Intraday calls for 24-03-17
- CB Hi zia, can test 302-303 Hi seema, ...In Intraday calls for 24-03-17
- seema Can we go for buying Bharat Finance he...In Intraday calls for 24-03-17
- zia CN SIR COAL INDIA TARGET MONDAY...In Intraday calls for 24-03-17
- CB Hi Harshal, its a hold. seems can test...In Intraday calls for 24-03-17
- Harshal Hi Sir, please suggest targets for ved...In Intraday calls for 24-03-17
- zia CB PENALTY ON COAL INDIA REDUCE HALF ...In Intraday calls for 24-03-17