What is Arbitrage Trading ?
“Arbitrage” trading is simply the trading of securities when the opportunity exists during the trading day to take advantage of differences in value between the markets the trades are made within. Arbitrage trading takes place all day long on most days that the markets are active.
Arbritrage is legally allowed. In fact arbitrage is responsible for a large part of the daily volumes on the NSE & BSE exchanges.
What mainly takes place in India is called Market Arbitrage
Market Arbitrage involves purchasing and selling the same security at the same time in different markets (BSE & NSE) to take advantage of a price difference between the two separate markets. A market arbitrageur would short sell the higher priced stock and buy the lower priced one. The profit is the spread between the two assets.
Here is a simple example:
Suppose you own 600 shares of RPL. One trading day you notice that RPL is trading at 150 on the BSE and 145 on the NSE. You sell your 600 shares on the BSE at 150 and simultaneously buy back the 600 shares on the NSE at 145.
You profit in this case is 600*5.00 = 3000.00 less brokerages if any.
- Dow Futures15308.00+19.00[+0.12%]
- Nikkei 22514612.45+128.47[+0.89%]
- Hang Seng22618.67-51.01[-0.23%]
- Straits Times3393.17-61.20[-1.77%]
- FTSE 1006654.34-42.45[-0.63%]
- CAC 403956.79-10.36[-0.26%]
Search Our Archives
- Stocks Trading above their 50 day moving average - DMA In Stock Research
- Download free Ebooks based on Technical Analysis In Personal Training
- TOP 100 Stocks with the Highest P/E as on Dec 21st, 2012 In Stock Research
- TOP 100 Stocks with the Lowest P/E as on Dec 21st, 2012 In Stock Research
- Charting Pathsala - Your guide to Techincals In Technical Analysis
- bjprasath hi good evening cb and kartik how are ...In Intraday calls for 24-05-13
- CB Hi cvrprakash, most welcome. tata glob...In Intraday calls for 24-05-13
- cvrprakash Hi Kartik, Thanks for the suggestio...In Intraday calls for 24-05-13
- Kartik Hi cvrprakash, it seems to have given ...In Intraday calls for 24-05-13
- cvrprakash Dear CB, Good Morning, Sir. Can I ...In Intraday calls for 24-05-13
- SaiPalanivel 10.51 PM.MCX CALL GIVEN 1.55 PM.SELL C...In Intraday calls for 24-05-13