What are Oversold Stocks?
Oversold stocks are Identified using Relative Strength Index .Relative Strength Index (“RSI“) is a financial technical analysis momentum oscillator measuring the velocity and magnitude of directional price movement by comparing upward and downward close-to-close movements. It was first introduced by Welles Wilder in an article in Commodities (now known as Futures) Magazine in June, 1978.
The Relative Strength Index is a price-following oscillator that ranges between 0 and 100. It is a mathematical measure that can indicate whether a particular stock is being undervalued or overvalued.
For Instance, consider UNITECH on of the most popular stocks on NSE. Unitech was trading around 25rs in start of March’09 with an RSI around 15-20, this indicated that the Stocks is oversold. Once the RSI crossed 30 on 12th March’09, the stock zoomed from 25rs to 45-47rs in Mid April ’09.
This is very helpful as it helps a Trader to know when to buy a stock. It should also be remembered that the stock might trade in the Oversold (below 30) zone for any number of days, sometimes even months. While the general wisdom is that the RSI of an overvalued stock is 70 or greater and the RSI of an undervalued stock is 30 or less, the novice trader may want to use a broader range, like 80 and 20 to avoid acting prematurely.
Just because an RSI hits 30 or 70 doesn’t mean it is about to turn the other way. With RSI values, it is a good idea to watch the volumes traded when the RSI “sticks” around 30 or 70 for a while. That will help determine whether traders are starting to book down profits or whether interest in buying a low RSI stock appears to be increasing.
On NSEGUIDE we provide you with a list of Oversold Stocks that have a Rising RSI, i.e the RSI of the stock has crossed above 30 levels, and seems that the stock might see some upward movement. This list displays all those stocks who’s RSI on the previous trading day was bellow 30, and the current RSI is above 30. This indicates that the RSI of the stock is rising and the stock looks strong Technically.
Search Our Archives
- Stocks Trading above their 50 day moving average - DMA In Stock Research
- Download free Ebooks based on Technical Analysis In Personal Training
- TOP 100 Stocks with the Highest P/E as on July 14th, 2013 In Stock Research
- TOP 100 Stocks with the Lowest P/E as on July 14th, 2013 In Stock Research
- Charting Pathsala - Your guide to Techincals In Technical Analysis
- Prashant Dear Sirji Have short Tata motors ...In Intraday calls for 23-02-17
- Prathmesh Good Morning CB sir what levels can se...In Intraday calls for 23-02-17
- seema What might be the reliance target now?...In Intraday calls for 23-02-17
- Prathmesh CB sir good afternoon, Kotak bank sust...In Intraday calls for 23-02-17
- srinivas Hi CB, Can i buy ONGC for mid term? Th...In Intraday calls for 23-02-17
- priya Does M&M call still holds?...In Intraday calls for 23-02-17
- sheeja Oh really..thanks for your great advic...In Intraday calls for 23-02-17
- CB ill be back in some time...In Intraday calls for 23-02-17
- CB Hi Aniket Biswas, can test 125 Hi S...In Intraday calls for 23-02-17
- Sunny modi Hello cb, What nifty level you expect...In Intraday calls for 23-02-17
- Aniket Biswas ok cb, idea 5 days holding target plz...In Intraday calls for 23-02-17
- CB Hi Aravind, most welcome. Hi kumar,...In Intraday calls for 23-02-17
- kumar Hi CB, View on Arman Financial, Ram...In Intraday calls for 23-02-17