Seven dumbest investment mistakes
By Scott Woolley
Emotions can be expensive, especially when you start making investing decisions with your gut instead of your brain. Fortunately, there are ways to avoid–or at least limit–the mistakes that we oh-so-human investors tend to make.
Daniel Kahneman won the Nobel prize in economics seven years ago for his work on how irrational humans systematically make mistakes. Since then, research in the field of behavioural finance has exploded.
Given the recent market turmoil what common, and costly, mistakes should investors be especially vigilant to avoid making today?
One is a direct result of the stock market plunge. People who bailed out of stocks after losing as much as half of their investments are now anxiously sitting out the market recovery, says Amy Barrett, a fee-only financial adviser and director of investments at Savant Capital.
Those people have “anchored” themselves to the value of the stock market at its trough, where they bailed out. They’re having a hard time accepting the fact that stocks might really be good values at their new, higher levels. In the past that behaviour has been a sure recipe for missing a market rebound, says Barrett.
“I’d like to shake these people and tell them to get out of their rut,” she says.
Emotional Investors’ Seven Dumbest Mistakes
Here are descriptions of the most common cognitive errors investors make–and some tips for getting your rational mind to override your potentially costly emotions.
source: Sify Finance
Search Our Archives
- Stocks Trading above their 50 day moving average - DMA In Stock Research
- Download free Ebooks based on Technical Analysis In Personal Training
- TOP 100 Stocks with the Highest P/E as on July 14th, 2013 In Stock Research
- TOP 100 Stocks with the Lowest P/E as on July 14th, 2013 In Stock Research
- Charting Pathsala - Your guide to Techincals In Technical Analysis
- Raj Hi CB, please suggest about Dishman Ph...In Intraday calls for 20-01-17
- CB Hi Mkkamboj, it has good support at 50...In Intraday calls for 20-01-17
- Mkkamboj Your view on Raymond syn. On Monday ta...In Intraday calls for 20-01-17
- CB Hi ramaswamy, it is going a bit weak. ...In Intraday calls for 20-01-17
- CB Hi Ramana26, Good morning Hi P. Ven...In Intraday calls for 20-01-17
- ramaswamy sir ima holdig div lap future 830...In Intraday calls for 20-01-17
- Ramana26 Hi...In Intraday calls for 20-01-17
- P. Venkata Ramana Hi CB, I bought Acc fut @ 1350, hold o...In Intraday calls for 20-01-17
- siva hi cb your views on supreme tex pls...In Intraday calls for 20-01-17
- CB Hi Swamy, it has strng support at 335-...In Intraday calls for 20-01-17
- Swamy Hi CB I have 750 shares of ESCORT for...In Intraday calls for 20-01-17
- CB Hi Premsagar, most welcome....In Intraday calls for 20-01-17
- Premsagar Hi CB, Thanks you Sir...In Intraday calls for 20-01-17