Seven dumbest investment mistakes
By Scott Woolley
Emotions can be expensive, especially when you start making investing decisions with your gut instead of your brain. Fortunately, there are ways to avoid–or at least limit–the mistakes that we oh-so-human investors tend to make.
Daniel Kahneman won the Nobel prize in economics seven years ago for his work on how irrational humans systematically make mistakes. Since then, research in the field of behavioural finance has exploded.
Given the recent market turmoil what common, and costly, mistakes should investors be especially vigilant to avoid making today?
One is a direct result of the stock market plunge. People who bailed out of stocks after losing as much as half of their investments are now anxiously sitting out the market recovery, says Amy Barrett, a fee-only financial adviser and director of investments at Savant Capital.
Those people have “anchored” themselves to the value of the stock market at its trough, where they bailed out. They’re having a hard time accepting the fact that stocks might really be good values at their new, higher levels. In the past that behaviour has been a sure recipe for missing a market rebound, says Barrett.
“I’d like to shake these people and tell them to get out of their rut,” she says.
Emotional Investors’ Seven Dumbest Mistakes
Here are descriptions of the most common cognitive errors investors make–and some tips for getting your rational mind to override your potentially costly emotions.
source: Sify Finance
Search Our Archives
- Stocks Trading above their 50 day moving average - DMA In Stock Research
- Download free Ebooks based on Technical Analysis In Personal Training
- TOP 100 Stocks with the Highest P/E as on July 14th, 2013 In Stock Research
- TOP 100 Stocks with the Lowest P/E as on July 14th, 2013 In Stock Research
- Charting Pathsala - Your guide to Techincals In Technical Analysis
- SKB Starpaper,cgcl,hpl,sequent,welspunind....In Intraday calls for 24-03-17
- CB Hi Mani, vguard can test 190 again in ...In Intraday calls for 24-03-17
- Mani Sir vguard and grauer and Weil's 2-3 m...In Intraday calls for 24-03-17
- CB Hi zia, can test 302-303 Hi seema, ...In Intraday calls for 24-03-17
- seema Can we go for buying Bharat Finance he...In Intraday calls for 24-03-17
- zia CN SIR COAL INDIA TARGET MONDAY...In Intraday calls for 24-03-17
- CB Hi Harshal, its a hold. seems can test...In Intraday calls for 24-03-17
- Harshal Hi Sir, please suggest targets for ved...In Intraday calls for 24-03-17
- zia CB PENALTY ON COAL INDIA REDUCE HALF ...In Intraday calls for 24-03-17