India still second-fastest growing economy: Chidambaram
Chidambaram said plans were on to open 8,000 new bank branches this year
Noting that India continued to be the second-fastest growing economy in the world after China, Finance Minister P Chidambaram on Saturday said people should not be worried about the current slowdown and expressed hope of achieving six per cent growth this financial year.
“People should remember India continues to be the second fastest growing economy after China. Even China’s growth which was at 10 per cent has come down to seven per cent now, while our growth has slid to five per cent from nine per cent,” he said at a bank function here.
“Economic slowdown is there in all the countries. When there is slow growth rate in the world, India cannot remain unaffected,” he said inaugurating the 2110th branch of Indian Bank in this small town in his Sivaganga Lok Sabha constituency.
Chidambaram said even European countries had been affected by the economic slow down. Many countries, including Mexico and Brazil, were behind India, he said.
Expressing hope the country’s growth would touch six per cent this year, he said “People should be confident..Self-confident and take bank loans to invest in farm sector, small industries, housing, etc. You should hope for a bright tomorrow, and not worry about the slowdown.”
On petroleum products prices, he said it had gone up due to the price of crude oil touching $108 a barrel, adding the price of petrol and diesel would show a declining trend only if crude came below $100 a barrel. India imports 70 per cent of its oil demand and efforts are on to explore crude and gas in the country.
Source: Business Standard
- FY16 GDP growth at 7.6%; India now fastest-growing economy in the world
- Diesel price rise not likely till state polls
- World Bank predicts slower growth for India in 2009
- India’s FY13 GDP seen growing just 5% – The latest estimate is the worst of all growth projections issued by the govt and RBI
- Economy grows at 5.7 pct pace, fastest since 2003 – Wall Street
Search Our Archives
- Stocks Trading above their 50 day moving average - DMA In Stock Research
- Download free Ebooks based on Technical Analysis In Personal Training
- TOP 100 Stocks with the Highest P/E as on July 14th, 2013 In Stock Research
- TOP 100 Stocks with the Lowest P/E as on July 14th, 2013 In Stock Research
- Charting Pathsala - Your guide to Techincals In Technical Analysis
- CB Hi Prathmesh, Good morning. most welco...In Intraday calls for 23-02-17
- TAPAN CB SIR, HEXA TRADEX NOT MOVING SO MUCH...In Intraday calls for 23-02-17
- Jaikumar Hi cb Can I buy m &m march ...In Intraday calls for 23-02-17
- SANJIV shill i buy relince future...In Intraday calls for 23-02-17
- Prathmesh Good afternoon CB sir, many thnx....In Intraday calls for 23-02-17
- CB Hi mayank, yes, its facing strong resi...In Intraday calls for 23-02-17
- CB Hi Prashant, its a hold. can test 455....In Intraday calls for 23-02-17
- mayank Sir your view on ongc As so many good...In Intraday calls for 23-02-17
- Prashant Dear Sirji Have short Tata motors ...In Intraday calls for 23-02-17
- Prathmesh Good Morning CB sir what levels can se...In Intraday calls for 23-02-17