Trade unions on strike: economy may lose Rs 20,000 cr
Strike comes a day before the Budget session
Major trade unions on Wednesday began a two-day strike, as the beleaguered government prepares to present an austerity budget to parliament and weather a corruption scandal in a big arms deal.
Financial services, mining and transport are likely to be affected by the strike, called by all major trade unions to protest high inflation, a fuel price increase and what they say are violations of labour laws.
Prime Minister Manmohan Singh, grappling with the country’s worst economic slowdown in a decade, asked the unions to call off the strike, but talks between a ministerial panel and union leaders broke down on Monday.
“As far as we have seen, the government has nothing to offer to labourers,” said Atridev Tiwari, general secretary of Bharatiya Mazdoor Sangh (Indian Workers Union), one of the main unions leading the strike.
“It doesn’t matter what the Prime Minister says now because we cannot rely on his word. He says something and does something else.”
For more visit: Business Standard
Search Our Archives
- Stocks Trading above their 50 day moving average - DMA In Stock Research
- Download free Ebooks based on Technical Analysis In Personal Training
- TOP 100 Stocks with the Highest P/E as on July 14th, 2013 In Stock Research
- TOP 100 Stocks with the Lowest P/E as on July 14th, 2013 In Stock Research
- Charting Pathsala - Your guide to Techincals In Technical Analysis
- Jennis This is a really ineitleglnt way to an...In Intraday calls for 01-09-10
- sham Sir, what is tgt n sl suven life for t...In Intraday calls for 23-04-14
- Venky Thanks Sir Tata steel and Idfc tomorr...In Intraday calls for 23-04-14
- Rojes Hi Kartik sir, I checked again...both...In Intraday calls for 23-04-14
- Kartik sorry guys, just came back Hi Ezhil...In Intraday calls for 23-04-14
- Essy Wham bam thank you, ma'am, my qunitsoe...In Intraday calls for 01-09-10
- Ezhil Hello CB, To what value Sintex incr...In Intraday calls for 23-04-14
- sham Dear CB, I have holding Jpassociat 100...In Intraday calls for 23-04-14
- amit saini someone suggest me how to chat with cb...In Contact Us
- K K Hi ND, I suggest to read book written ...In Intraday calls for 23-04-14
- TAPAN Sir, tomorrow BRITINNIA INDUSTRIES TAR...In Intraday calls for 23-04-14
- TAPAN CB Sir, i want to know approx how many...In Swing call - Buy State Trading Corporation Of India - Continue to hold
- Kevrell Me and this article, sitting in a tree...In Intraday calls for 01-09-10