Trade unions on strike: economy may lose Rs 20,000 cr
Strike comes a day before the Budget session
Major trade unions on Wednesday began a two-day strike, as the beleaguered government prepares to present an austerity budget to parliament and weather a corruption scandal in a big arms deal.
Financial services, mining and transport are likely to be affected by the strike, called by all major trade unions to protest high inflation, a fuel price increase and what they say are violations of labour laws.
Prime Minister Manmohan Singh, grappling with the country’s worst economic slowdown in a decade, asked the unions to call off the strike, but talks between a ministerial panel and union leaders broke down on Monday.
“As far as we have seen, the government has nothing to offer to labourers,” said Atridev Tiwari, general secretary of Bharatiya Mazdoor Sangh (Indian Workers Union), one of the main unions leading the strike.
“It doesn’t matter what the Prime Minister says now because we cannot rely on his word. He says something and does something else.”
For more visit: Business Standard
Search Our Archives
- Stocks Trading above their 50 day moving average - DMA In Stock Research
- Download free Ebooks based on Technical Analysis In Personal Training
- TOP 100 Stocks with the Highest P/E as on July 14th, 2013 In Stock Research
- TOP 100 Stocks with the Lowest P/E as on July 14th, 2013 In Stock Research
- Charting Pathsala - Your guide to Techincals In Technical Analysis
- Warren CB, how about exiting TFCILTD now sinc...In Intraday calls for 30-03-17
- MOHANKUMAR NATARAJAN CB, Do u know why VEDL APr future i...In Intraday calls for 30-03-17
- Ron Any Intraday call ??...In Intraday calls for 30-03-17
- Chacko Sir, Can I invest in BHARATIDIL for...In Intraday calls for 30-03-17
- V Srinivasareddy Hi cb sir I bought bank account 21500/...In Intraday calls for 30-03-17
- Rajiv Singh intraday call on ICICI bank and sonata...In Intraday calls for 30-03-17
- Prem Hello sir icici bank target...In Intraday calls for 30-03-17
- Krishna Hi CB Good Morning, I have fedder ll...In Intraday calls for 29-03-17
- rishikanta Good morning CB sir...In Intraday calls for 29-03-17
- dr sharma hi cb good morning .kindly give target...In Intraday calls for 29-03-17
- ninad Hi CB, sir your view on acc, ultratech...In Intraday calls for 29-03-17
- mayank Hi siva, hi Siva you can trade with ...In Intraday calls for 29-03-17
- Real Madrid Tröja This design is spectacular! You most c...In Nila Infrastructures Ltd - 165% Profits