Trade unions on strike: economy may lose Rs 20,000 cr
Strike comes a day before the Budget session
Major trade unions on Wednesday began a two-day strike, as the beleaguered government prepares to present an austerity budget to parliament and weather a corruption scandal in a big arms deal.
Financial services, mining and transport are likely to be affected by the strike, called by all major trade unions to protest high inflation, a fuel price increase and what they say are violations of labour laws.
Prime Minister Manmohan Singh, grappling with the country’s worst economic slowdown in a decade, asked the unions to call off the strike, but talks between a ministerial panel and union leaders broke down on Monday.
“As far as we have seen, the government has nothing to offer to labourers,” said Atridev Tiwari, general secretary of Bharatiya Mazdoor Sangh (Indian Workers Union), one of the main unions leading the strike.
“It doesn’t matter what the Prime Minister says now because we cannot rely on his word. He says something and does something else.”
For more visit: Business Standard
Search Our Archives
- Stocks Trading above their 50 day moving average - DMA In Stock Research
- Download free Ebooks based on Technical Analysis In Personal Training
- TOP 100 Stocks with the Highest P/E as on July 14th, 2013 In Stock Research
- TOP 100 Stocks with the Lowest P/E as on July 14th, 2013 In Stock Research
- Charting Pathsala - Your guide to Techincals In Technical Analysis
- NIZ sir activated currency trading with my...In Intraday calls for 19-12-14
- Sham hi cb sir, have mail you please reply....In Intraday calls for 19-12-14
- Suriya Hi cb Wt about aurobindo pharma may...In Intraday calls for 19-12-14
- minu sir, pls. let me know about rel infra....In Intraday calls for 19-12-14
- Ezhil Hi CB, Please let me know next wee...In Intraday calls for 19-12-14
- abhinandan Bangalore Gud evening cb sir. . Itook hdil at 69...In Intraday calls for 19-12-14
- Shiuli HI CB SIR I HAVE BOUGHT KOTAK BANK 122...In Intraday calls for 19-12-14
- Sk Hi cb sir, monday Pfc target and sl?...In Intraday calls for 19-12-14
- Abhijit hi sir , can unitech test above 17 nex...In Intraday calls for 19-12-14
- rajasekar Hi CB, sir, i m not holding these i as...In Intraday calls for 19-12-14