Trade unions on strike: economy may lose Rs 20,000 cr
Strike comes a day before the Budget session
Major trade unions on Wednesday began a two-day strike, as the beleaguered government prepares to present an austerity budget to parliament and weather a corruption scandal in a big arms deal.
Financial services, mining and transport are likely to be affected by the strike, called by all major trade unions to protest high inflation, a fuel price increase and what they say are violations of labour laws.
Prime Minister Manmohan Singh, grappling with the country’s worst economic slowdown in a decade, asked the unions to call off the strike, but talks between a ministerial panel and union leaders broke down on Monday.
“As far as we have seen, the government has nothing to offer to labourers,” said Atridev Tiwari, general secretary of Bharatiya Mazdoor Sangh (Indian Workers Union), one of the main unions leading the strike.
“It doesn’t matter what the Prime Minister says now because we cannot rely on his word. He says something and does something else.”
For more visit: Business Standard
Search Our Archives
- Stocks Trading above their 50 day moving average - DMA In Stock Research
- Download free Ebooks based on Technical Analysis In Personal Training
- TOP 100 Stocks with the Highest P/E as on July 14th, 2013 In Stock Research
- TOP 100 Stocks with the Lowest P/E as on July 14th, 2013 In Stock Research
- Charting Pathsala - Your guide to Techincals In Technical Analysis
- CB Hi ibull, Wish you the same.. EID Muba...In Intraday calls for 28-07-14
- Raushan cb sir Holding sks micro fin @284 Bp...In Intraday calls for 28-07-14
- vijay Hi CB, I am holding Ashok Leyland a...In Intraday calls for 28-07-14
- vijay EID Mubarak to all my traders.may this...In Intraday calls for 28-07-14
- mohan kvp Thank you CB sir...In Intraday calls for 28-07-14
- ibull Eid Mubarak everybody :)...In Intraday calls for 28-07-14
- CB Hi vishal, thanks Hi mohan kvp, Res...In Intraday calls for 28-07-14
- mohan kvp Hi CB sir your opinion on ITC result t...In Intraday calls for 28-07-14
- CB Hi Ram, most welcome Hi Name (requi...In Intraday calls for 28-07-14
- Ram Thanks much, CB!...In Intraday calls for 28-07-14