Protests continue in capital, Sonia promises action
Prohibitory orders under section 144 of the CrPC imposed in New Delhi area except Jantar Mantar
Hundreds of people, mainly the young, Sunday continued their noisy protests against the gang-rape of a woman, sparking off sporadic clashes with polices.
Having barricaded all roads leading to the Rashtrapati Bhavan and nearby government offices, security forces sprayed water at a large crowd shouting slogans against Delhi Police and demanding death to the rapists.
Police also used batons on the protesters who defied prohibitory orders banning the assembly of five or more people in the city centre. But seeing the mass anger, police later allowed protests at the India Gate area.
A large gathering of mainly yoga guru Baba Ramdev supporters was also massed about a kilometre away near the Jantar Mantar monument.
The third day’s protests Sunday also drew political activists, members of Arvind Kejriwal’s Aam Admi Party (AAP) as well as many with apparently no particular affiliation but very angry.
A young woman demanded that the rapists of the 23-year-old woman, who is still in critical condition in hospital since the Dec 16 assault on her in a moving bus, should be hanged.
“Our Republic Day is celebrated on Rajpath,” she said, referring to the main boulevard in the heart of the capital. “And this is where the rapists should be hanged.”
Pallavi, a 25-year-old working for a multinational, told IANS: “The government is sleeping. We want to wake it up. The law should be stronger, and should be implemented properly.”
Delhi University student Hemant said the protests would continue “until we are assured that girls are safe in Delhi”.
Earlier in the day, police forcibly evicted protesters from near India Gate but succeeded only partially.
Many young men and women were grabbed and forcibly led away towards parked buses. But many slipped through.
For more visit: Business Standard
Search Our Archives
- Stocks Trading above their 50 day moving average - DMA In Stock Research
- Download free Ebooks based on Technical Analysis In Personal Training
- TOP 100 Stocks with the Highest P/E as on July 14th, 2013 In Stock Research
- TOP 100 Stocks with the Lowest P/E as on July 14th, 2013 In Stock Research
- Charting Pathsala - Your guide to Techincals In Technical Analysis
- Harshal Hi Sir, how does Axis Bank look techni...In Intraday calls for 28-03-17
- rishikanta Hi CB sir I m holding NTPC 165CE 9 lot...In Intraday calls for 28-03-17
- preety Hi CB please tell which intraday BO i ...In Intraday calls for 28-03-17
- BM Thanks CB...In Intraday calls for 28-03-17
- Manoj dudeja Hi, Target for pnb for 2-3 months? A...In Intraday calls for 28-03-17
- Krishna Hi CB, What is ur view on Kohinoor fo...In Intraday calls for 28-03-17
- RAM CB SIR ANANT RAJ STILL NOT ACHIEVED TA...In Intraday calls for 28-03-17
- DVL Thank u sir...In Intraday calls for 28-03-17
- Ron what is your view on Snowman ?...In Intraday calls for 28-03-17
- CB ill be back in some time...In Intraday calls for 28-03-17
- CB Hi BM, it has good support at 187. if ...In Intraday calls for 28-03-17
- BM CB your view on Hindalco please. Thank...In Intraday calls for 28-03-17
- CB Hi ssuresh80, yes. sl near 9120 (spot)...In Intraday calls for 28-03-17