Goldman Likes Stocks as Morgan Stanley Sees Danger
Treasury yields below zero on an inflation-adjusted basis for only the second time since Dwight D. Eisenhower’s presidency have split Wall Street’s biggest firms, underscoring the relative-value dilemma equity investors face following the biggest first-quarter rally in 14 years.
For Goldman Sachs Group Inc. (GS)’s Peter Oppenheimer, U.S. stocks offer a once-in-a-generation buying opportunity after yields on 10-year Treasuries fell to about minus 0.3 percent when the rate of inflation is deducted. Morgan Stanley’s Adam Parker advises caution, saying Federal Reserve stimulus that has led the fixed-income rally can’t last forever.
Last month’s jobs growth, which was lower than estimated by any economist in a Bloomberg survey, underscored the economy’s reliance on the Fed’s help since the financial crisis began in 2007. At the same time, record-low yields on Treasuries are driving investors to riskier assets such as stocks, said Howard Ward at Gamco Investors Inc. in Rye, New York.
“Capital will chase returns,” Ward, who helps oversee $35 billion, said in an April 11 phone interview. “There’s a tremendous shortage of investment income and there are fewer places to go to generate that,” he said. “Stocks are to a large extent the only game in town for earning a respectable return.”
Ward favors technology companies such as Apple Inc., Qualcomm Inc. (QCOM) and Microsoft Corp. given their earnings potential, as well as consumer stocks with emerging-market operations like Starbucks Corp. and Nike Inc.
Equities fell last week, driving the Standard & Poor’s 500 Index down 2 percent to 1,370.26 in its first back-to-back decline since November, after the government reported that American employers added 120,000 jobs in March, fewer than estimated by the 79 economists in the Bloomberg survey.
The index has declined 3.4 percent from its four-year high on April 2, trimming gains of as much as 29 percent in the past six months, after the Fed said it won’t add more stimulus unless the economy falters or inflation tops its 2 percent target. Futures on the S&P 500 rose less than 0.1 percent to 1,365.7 at 8:25 a.m. in London today.
The central bank already bought $2.3 trillion of bonds in two rounds of asset purchases and started a $400 billion program known as Operation Twist to replace short-term debt in its holdings with longer-term securities. Yields (USGG10YR) on 10-year Treasury notes fell below 2 percent last week after reaching a five-month high of 2.40 percent in March.
For more visit: Bloomberg.com
- Dow Futures15284.00-29.00[-0.19%]
- Nikkei 22513245.22+237.94[+1.83%]
- Hang Seng20986.89-238.99[-1.13%]
- Straits Times3213.79-15.76[-0.49%]
- FTSE 1006337.60-36.61[-0.57%]
- CAC 403844.83-15.72[-0.41%]
Search Our Archives
- Stocks Trading above their 50 day moving average - DMA In Stock Research
- Download free Ebooks based on Technical Analysis In Personal Training
- TOP 100 Stocks with the Highest P/E as on Dec 21st, 2012 In Stock Research
- TOP 100 Stocks with the Lowest P/E as on Dec 21st, 2012 In Stock Research
- Charting Pathsala - Your guide to Techincals In Technical Analysis
- cvrprakash Dear CB, Can you please suggest on ...In Intraday calls for 19-06-13
- jai kumar Hi CB, IS IT POSSIBLE FOR ME TO ALSO R...In Intraday calls for 19-06-13
- SaiPalanivel hi jaikumar what is the your correct p...In Intraday calls for 19-06-13
- jai kumar Hi jaikumar,great feeling to know some...In Intraday calls for 19-06-13
- SaiPalanivel HI Jaikumar,which place in tamilnadu?...In Intraday calls for 19-06-13
- murali hi cb and karthick sir at what time...In Intraday calls for 19-06-13
- Kiran Hi CB, Today I have inquired a los...In Intraday calls for 19-06-13
- jaikumar Hi SaiPalanivel, i am from tamilnadu...In Intraday calls for 19-06-13
- cvrprakash Dear CB, Are you turning positive o...In Intraday calls for 19-06-13
- Madhu Hi Cb, Good evening Thank you fo...In Intraday calls for 19-06-13
- manoj_sirohi 2MOROW NIFTY LL SEE 5784 ND 5820 BREAK...In Intraday calls for 19-06-13
- CB Hi Manjunath Rao, Good evening.. welco...In Intraday calls for 19-06-13
- Manjunath Rao CB Sir, and all nseguide followers mos...In Intraday calls for 19-06-13